My Summer Vacation

I’m taking my summer vacation starting this Saturday through July 11. Guess where I’m going? Broadway—about a 15-minute walk away. Or maybe a nearby cafe to get a change of scenery, maybe that Starbucks on Christopher where I wrote the freelance books, maybe there. Yeah, I’m taking my precious vacations days this summer to not leave the city and to not go to the beach. I’m going to write. It’ll be a mini writers retreat here in steamy Manhattan, the sweat and noise as usual except I won’t have to go to work and so it will be ten million times better. When I originally arranged for the days off, I wanted to make a whole plan about what I’d be working on—the revision of my novel, or a few first chapters of the new one, or three short stories, or, I don’t know, the plans kept changing. But right now I’m saying no rules, no assignments, no set deadlines. I’m just going to write every day, and it can be anything I feel like writing. I’m truly excited about this time off from work. I feel like I’m going to the Bahamas.

8 thoughts on “My Summer Vacation

1. Annika June 28, 2006 / 1:36 pm

Is the 11th the last day of vacation or the day you go back to work? We get to town late night on the 10th, but obviously can see you evenings once you are back at work.

2. Anonymous June 28, 2006 / 2:24 pm

My favorite way to travel…

3. nova June 28, 2006 / 6:51 pm

Annika, I just responded to your other half and said such great timing! Shall we say the 11th?

4. Helen June 28, 2006 / 7:37 pm

I’m sooooo jealous! I want to go to that writers’ retreat now!! I too am going on holiday next week. On a 30-hour flight, just me and my teething baby… I feel like crying!! Can we swap places?!?!

5. yojo June 29, 2006 / 7:57 am

That is such a good idea!

6. nova June 29, 2006 / 8:11 am

Helen, a 30-hour flight… where are you going? I’d love to go somewhere far, far away…

Yojo, I wish we lived in the same city so you could join me. You’d help me stay motivated, or at least amped up on coffee, right?

7. Helen June 29, 2006 / 8:38 am

I’m travelling from Sydney, Australia, to Edinburgh, UK. We stop at Singapore and Manchester so it’s not exactly a 30-hour flight, more like 30 hours broken into pieces. Which is how I’m sure I’ll feel at the end of it… It will be good to get there but I can’t wait for someone to invent teleportation.

8. yojo June 29, 2006 / 6:52 pm

” You’d help me stay motivated, or at least amped up on coffee, right?”

I’m not sure that I know the difference between the two. Is that bad? but yes. I would…but it’s been six years since we’ve seen each other- it would be distracting!