Away

In an impossible feat that I really didn’t know I could do, I met a deadline Thursday. And another today. And now I’m done. I’m going away for a little while to relax. I’ve decided that I’m not going to be a freelance writer anymore, not while I have this full-time job. (I mean, after I make the deadlines on my revisions, of course, I’m not that much of a slacker.) I just don’t want to do this anymore. I want to write for myself again. And, beyond that, I’m very, very tired.

8 thoughts on “Away

1. bloglily October 15, 2006 / 9:40 pm

Good for you Nova. I hope it’s a wonderful, relaxing break. You’re THIS close to being able to retire from your freelance career and get on with the next thing, the one that’s for you.

2. Annika October 16, 2006 / 2:35 pm

That is wonderful. You need time for yourself so much. I only wish “away” was here.

3. funkmeister October 16, 2006 / 3:43 pm

Sometimes when you create for nothing more than the sure joy of creating, you create your best work and who knows what could become of that.

I’ve found in my own life that thinking about “marketability” inhibits and constrains creativity.

Recharge.

Also, sometimes (I’m guessing often) your scars will be beneficial to others.

4. slynne October 17, 2006 / 12:12 am

Oh, Nova. I think that this is a decision you have been dwelling on for a long time. Stick to your guns. I know that it can be tempting to give in and write freelance when they ask, but hold on and write your things for a while. You absolutely deserve it.

5. charlotteotter October 17, 2006 / 1:12 am

Have a great rest . Hope you come back recharged and ready to write what is right for you.

6. Helen October 17, 2006 / 5:06 am

All the best, Nova. I am getting the vibes this will be a great decision. Have lots of sleep, OK?!

7. courtney s October 21, 2006 / 3:10 am

You earned some R&R about a 100 times over, I’d say. Enjoy it!

8. nova October 21, 2006 / 2:21 pm

Thanks, everyone! I can’t tell you how needed that was. Now I’m back… and staring at the revision notes I need to address for my freelance novel. I think I’ll deal with it tomorrow.