This morning, this was my urgent to-do pile at work:
Yes, my job is to read all the things in that pile. Very, very closely.
The above pile does not take into account:
- The box of manuscripts and cover copy to the right of this picture
- The “semi-urgent” pile to the immediate left of this picture
- The “non-urgent” pile to the far left of this picture
- The special project due last week that was more urgent than what is in that picture
- The projects I “delegated” to the other copy editor
- The projects I sent out to freelancers
This is why I have no energy to write at night.
I felt a little more overwhelmed than usual today, but—don’t worry!—there are such things as couches and takeout Mexican food and mindless TV. Oh, the pretty colors. See? I feel better already.