10 Favorite Short Stories

[EDIT: Now 11!]

Inspired by LK’s list of her ten favorite short stories, I’ve sought out ten of my current favorites. I say “current” because I know I’m forgetting some real doozies; I just can’t find them now to recall what they were. The list is in alphabetical order, because I can’t seem to play favorites beyond putting together this list:

• “The Bloody Chamber” by Angela Carter
  • “Call My Name” by Aimee Bender
  • “Civilwarland in Bad Decline” by George Saunders
  • “Dirty Wedding” by Denis Johnson
  • “Disentangling” by Peter Rock
  • “Floating Bridge” by Alice Munro
  • “The Hotel Capital” by Olga Tokarczuk
  • “Planetisimal” by Keri Hulme
  • “The Toughest Indian in the World” by Sherman Alexie
  • “White Angel” by Michael Cunningham
  • And, thanks to Susan, I remembered how much I absolutely love “Hunger” by Lan Samantha Chang—I won’t delete any of the favorites above, but “Hunger” would have surely made it on there, so this list has now hit 11 😉

LK also has a short story challenge. I’m up for it. I really want to read “The Babysitter” by Robert Coover.

Uncategorized

15 thoughts on “10 Favorite Short Stories

1. courtney April 23, 2007 / 11:02 pm

I’m so… not versed in short stories that it makes me sad. I am bookmarking this entry!

2. elizabeth April 24, 2007 / 1:12 am

This is such a great idea, and makes me want to think about my 10 favorites, too. Also, makes me want to read yours, since I don’t think I have read, ahem, any of these, with the possible exception of the Denis Johnson one. The problem is that I am horrible at remembering short story titles…I just think “that one with the character who…” or something vague like that. Which could make it hard to come up with my 10 faves, huh?
    Seriously, I’m pasting these into my reading list. Thanks!

3. jadepark April 24, 2007 / 11:11 am

Oh Nova–terrific! I’ve jumped in and participated in LK’s short story challenge, too. 🙂

4. Susan April 24, 2007 / 11:41 am

Me, too, Nova. Great inspiration. I share many on your list.

5. LK April 24, 2007 / 1:37 pm

Most excellent! I haven’t read several, so I look forward to discovering some new material. Yay on Alexie, Saunders!

6. Susan April 24, 2007 / 1:41 pm

Nova, I had to add “Floating Bridge” when I saw your list, so I ended up with 11 too. 🙂

7. Tai April 24, 2007 / 4:46 pm

There was a time when I was utterly obsessed with short stories, but for some time now they’ve taken a backseat to novels in my reading. This challenge has made me think about them again (my list is posted on my blog). I like your choices, Nova — several of these (Peter Rock, Olga Tokarczuk?) are completely new to me.

8. nova April 25, 2007 / 8:29 am

Tai, I found the “Hotel Capital” story in an issue of Granta: http://www.granta.com/authors/760
    That story is the only one of hers I’ve read. And I’ve thought of it ever since. The Peter Rock story was first published in Zoetrope, but it’s now in his short-story collection The Unsettling: http://www.peterrockproject.com/