I gave notice at work today. News is, I got a new job.
Reactions were varied, including:
- Heartfelt congratulations
- Closed door confessions
- Secret hugs
- Thumbs up
- Whispers of will you get me a job there?
- Giddy laughter, as if three people leaving in a row is funny
- Jealousy, expected
- Jealousy, very very unexpected
- Possible sabotage
- Wails of Noooooooo!
- The silent treatment
- Talk of “too little too late”
- More hugs
- Suggestions on where to eat lunch
- Confessions of grudge held for three weeks
- Head on a desk
- Being left out of important decisions because now they no longer concern me
- An empty office, me in it, past 7:30 on a Friday night, feeling guilty, feeling excited, feeling scared, feeling anxious, feeling happy, feeling like after four years in one place it may be a small thing—a day job—but nothing will ever be the same again