The Giddy Stage

I’m at that point when you’re writing a novel when you’re not even actually writing the novel but still you think you’re gold. You know: The ideas shimmering… Your words poised to come out… Not a single line on the page, but the whole thing seems finished somehow, in your mind.

I bet there are tens of thousands of writers out there having this feeling, what with NaNoWriMo speedily approaching.

This morning before work I got a more solid handle on my idea and started outlining. Then at work I got swallowed and forgot all about the idea, and I only remembered on the subway ride home. And giddiness ensued:

scribbles2.jpg

I was so giddy, I had to write it down on the train. To translate:

I found the November novel this morning. ‘[Title blurred due to superstition]’ is the working title. [Initials of the working title blurred due to further (perhaps paranoid?) superstition]… don’t want to talk too much about it in front of people. I don’t want it to get ruined. But it has my idea for ‘[Title of short story, blurred, of course]’ and expands on it (maybe one chapter could become a story?). Also has the idea for the novel, the [name of place] novel, but I am not going in that direction (adding the adult perspective) yet. If you are wondering [who am I talking to here? my future self?] why my handwriting is all goofy it’s because I’m writing this on the subway. While riding backwards. (Plus my fingers are tired from work, my palms aching from being clenched.) [It’s from holding a pencil. Really.] I love going alongside another train. So this novel, YA or not? I am not sure yet. The end will differ, depending. The perspective. The length. I am almost home. I need to keep outlining. I am going to write a new novel! (shaky train)

Oh, and if you were curious, the outside of the notebook looks like this:

notebook.jpg

How delectable. It wants to be filled with wobbly, giddy scribbles. Maybe that’ll happen next month.

13 thoughts on “The Giddy Stage

1. Annika October 23, 2007 / 11:22 pm

I love seeing this page, glimpsing into your day and your mind. Love it. And I totally deciphered a word. (The place name, of course.)

2. Niki October 24, 2007 / 4:44 am

Your giddiness is making me giddy!

3. nova October 24, 2007 / 6:19 am

Annika: You would be the one to know!

4. strugglingwriter October 24, 2007 / 7:22 am

I love the giddiness stage. It doesn’t usually last very long for me. I just hope it lasts until the end of November!

5. sognatrice October 24, 2007 / 10:06 am

Gah! This is exactly what I should be doing! Giddy is so fun…can’t wait until I get to it. Tomorrow, maybe?

6. w October 24, 2007 / 1:53 pm

Thanks for posting this page from your notebook, I love to see how writers get excited about a new project (and also the little, ah, distractions and sidebars that find their way into the body of the outline). And what a gorgeous notebook— it’s inspired me to dig out one of my blank ones from home and use it for NaNo. Whee!

7. nell October 24, 2007 / 3:32 pm

I signed up yesterday, and you are way ahead of me. I’ve pretty much decided to wing it. Love the notebook!

8. w October 25, 2007 / 12:32 pm

Wanted to spread some more giddiness: I just suspended my cable and Internet services for all of November. Holy sh*t!

Good luck, everybody!

9. nova October 25, 2007 / 4:45 pm

w: That is some serious dedication. Should I do the same? CAN I do the same? … Must think more on this.

I’m excited so many people are doing this. I really think it will be great fun!

10. Melissa October 25, 2007 / 6:54 pm

It wasn’t until I read Alex Webster and The Gods, when I actually felt like writing again. Something about the giddiness in the book maybe.

11. pmousse October 25, 2007 / 7:06 pm

Beautiful notebook.

I’m going to wing it, too. Not much other choice… I haven’t even started outlining. Argh. Double argh.

12. Helen October 27, 2007 / 7:46 am

Ooh, lovely lovely notebook! So cool! That gives me the vibes. I like your handwriting too. I’m looking at my own notebook sitting here open in front of me and I’ve put the date at the top, 25/10 – I love knowing that someone else out there is doing something the same as me.

13. courtney October 27, 2007 / 5:21 pm

The Giddy Stage is the best. And that notebook is AWESOME. I love all the superstitiously blurred parts. What is it about writing that breeds such superstition?! I can’t even say full character names out loud without feeling doomed, somehow.