Some NaNoWriMo Confessions

Full disclosure:

1. I do not know if I can do this.
  2. But I’m doing it anyway!
  3. I do not have an outline beyond the first chapter, and ideas for two more chapters scribbled in a notebook while I was preoccupied here.
  4. So I will have to wing it.
  5. Which is daunting.
  6. And exhilarating.
  7. And possibly possible?

I’ll stop there because I don’t like the number 8. But I could go on… I tend to ramble. (Might this come in handy next month?) I know there are many other writers and bloggers who will also be doing National Novel Writing Month and I meant to comment saying good luck! and how exciting! and can we do this? I think we can! and many other more creative things but it’s been a weird adjustment being back in New York and returning to work, and no comment, and, well, no excuses, but I meant to say hi. So hi. I’m excited to see that so many people are doing this.

This morning I didn’t get up on time. I’d set my alarm for 5:45 p.m., not a.m. Tomorrow I’ll do better, I must!

So if you’re signed up, too, and would like another writing buddy, you can find me here.

8 thoughts on “Some NaNoWriMo Confessions

1. Smiler October 31, 2007 / 9:30 pm

Just 95 minutes to go! I’m pretty excited actually. A semblance of a plot came to me out of nowhere 30 mins ago and I’m really excited about that. I’ve put you on my NaNoWriMo blogroll and if ever you want to see how bad my writing can get (so you’ll feel better about yours) then by all means drop in for a visit at my “special NaNo” blog : fifty thousand words: the shameful blog of shlock o’ block prose.

2. Susan October 31, 2007 / 9:35 pm

Nova, I’m with you. I’m doing it! First thing in the morning.

I also decided -big, heavy decision, that my novel is NOT YA and that is one reason I am doing Nano. Because I have to start all over from the beginning.

HERE WE GO.

3. strugglingwriter October 31, 2007 / 10:02 pm

You can so do it. Especially if you are wordy. I’m not wordy and I really don’t know if I can do it. The fun is in the trying, I guess.

4. charlotteotter November 1, 2007 / 12:50 am

Good luck! I’m doing the other one. I wish I was doing this one, but I know I can’t manage both.

5. hellyamber November 1, 2007 / 3:54 am

Good luck! Have added you as a writing buddy 🙂

6. lilalia November 1, 2007 / 4:22 am

Good luck. No matter what, the experience is bound to be enriching. I wish I had the audacity, courage, resolve (whatever shoe fits) to give a novel a go. Will be looking forward to your thoughts on the whole process.

7. sognatrice November 1, 2007 / 12:01 pm

Hmm. Tried to add you as a writing buddy, the site said I did, but you don’t appear in my buddies…then when I try to add you again, it just kicks me back to the main page. I’ll keep trying though…day 1 is almost in the books for me….

8. nova November 1, 2007 / 8:40 pm

Smiler: You’re so brave to post your NaNo writing! After today, I don’t know if I could show anyone, ever. But I’m hoping it was just an awkward start. Hope your first day went better!

Susan, You decided! I’d love to ask more about what made you know for sure it wasn’t YA. I’m still on the fence with mine. Starting over could be really fun! (I might do the same with another one of my novels at some point in the future.)

Strugglingwriter: I know you can do it, I do!

Charlotte: I look forward to reading your daily posts. I was thinking of doing both, then I thought again, and well, you know…

Hellyamber: I’ve added you back!

Thanks, lilalia, maybe you’ll decide to try it next year? It seems pretty crazy to be trying this right now, but I don’t know, we’ll see what happens.

Sognatrice: I think the problem is that you can only see 10-11 buddies on your profile; after that the site stops listing them. (I went to the forums to figure this out because I was very confused.) But you can see all your buddies, and everyone who lists you as a buddy, by editing your profile and clicking on Writing Buddies on the lefthand side. Then it shows a list of everyone. That site is sooooo slow.