Choke

My story just choked. 13,317 words (46 pages) in and it just sputtered, coughed, and died.

Crap.

14 thoughts on “Choke

1. strugglingwriter November 7, 2007 / 8:51 am

I’m at around 11,000 words and my story started coughing las night. I skipped ahead and that helped a little bit. I hope you can get through it!

2. narziss November 7, 2007 / 9:07 am

ouch. that sucks. bad.

3. oslowe November 7, 2007 / 9:26 am

Nooooooooo! Quick, 300ccs of caffeine and a plate of pierogi, STAT!

pound on it’s chest! Squeeze it’s nose and blow down it’s throat! Use the rib-seperater thingie! SAVE IT!!!

4. nell November 7, 2007 / 10:25 am

No! Nova, don’t stop, force it, twist its little arm behind its back until it cries Uncle and then keep going! Do it! You have to.

5. witnessing am i November 7, 2007 / 1:23 pm

No, it is too young, its future too bright!!

Don’t give up, don’t let it die. I like the plate of pierogi idea. Maybe it is just just breathing very, very quietly.

6. lilalia November 7, 2007 / 2:58 pm

Rightly so… crap. My dad always said, “Don’t stop moving, just change tack.” He was an old salty sailor.

7. the individual voice November 7, 2007 / 5:37 pm

That’s OK, Nova. Just do what they do on TV: have the novel wake up and discover it was all just a bad dream.

8. the individual voice November 7, 2007 / 5:39 pm

Of course, what do I know, I gave up after 503 words. But they were high quality words. And then there was the strike as an excuse…

9. EelKat November 7, 2007 / 11:09 pm

have you checked out the Dare Thread yet? whenever I get stuck I rush the NaNo’s Dare Thread, grab some weird freaky dare and write a quite random thought about it, and how it can fit into my story, and the next thing I know I’m back on track writing another couple thousand words for my story. I’ve done this about 5 times so far this year, every time my story hit a bump, the Dare Thread pulled it through and got it back on track.

10. Moon Topples November 7, 2007 / 11:14 pm

I had this happen to me last year. What got me through it was talking through my plotline with someone else, which underlined for me the things that were important in the story. A bit of thinking and talking and I found my blind alley, removed it, and was able to resume writing.

Hope this is marginally helpful.

11. Smithereens November 8, 2007 / 5:33 am

Have you dialed 911? It’s way too early in the month, you’ve got to try some silly twist full of suspense…

12. nova November 8, 2007 / 6:05 am

Hey, guys. I’m going to try again this morning. Maybe skip ahead? Maybe try the Dare Thread? Maybe twist its little arm or use the rib separator thingie? So many great suggestions, thank you.

E’s sleeping now. It’s way early. I’m going to go to my writing spot and see if I can figure this out…

13. e November 8, 2007 / 1:53 pm

“””E, I want to talk plot with you this weekend. I know I said I don’t want to talk about it yet because it’s too raw, but I’m stuck.”””

i would love to. i’m excited to. you’re not stuck, you’re just re-forming and you’ll be glad about it soon.