What HAS Happened: I’m Publishing a Book!

Below I expunged all the things that haven’t come my way lately, and do you know why? Because things were brewing for reals and I am—no joke—about to tell you some good news that I was hinting at before:

I just got a formal offer on my first original tween novel from Simon & Schuster!

It’s not a WFH! It’s my own book, for the first time, AND I will be publishing it under my actual name!

I pitched the project and wrote three sample chapters for what I thought would be a paperback and turns out they’re publishing it in hardcover! Hardcover! Now I have to finish writing it…! They’re planning for it to tentatively come out in Fall 2009!

Yow!

I’m exhausted from all these exclamation points.

The formal offer came today around 4pm. I haven’t responded yet. I’m doing this without a literary agent so talk of advances and subsidiary rights and royalty rates are swimming in my head and I hope I handle this all okay.

And I know I’ve been secretive about this, but it’s only because I’m superstitious and couldn’t talk about it before it felt more “real.” I’ve actually been working on this since late summer. I got lucky and was recommended to pitch for a truly awesome editor and she has really made this happen. I love her! I love Simon & Schuster! I love books in general! I love 13-year-old girls! (Um, that’s how old my narrator is.)

I’m sure I’ll talk more about the book, including details, and how this whole process happened and works out without having an agent very soon. I’ll even tell you guys the title 😉

In the meantime I have to sit down and try to breathe. I feel faint.

34 thoughts on “What HAS Happened: I’m Publishing a Book!

1. Mr. Ravenscroft March 20, 2008 / 7:56 pm

Wow, that’s incredible! Congratulations!

2. Eve March 20, 2008 / 8:03 pm

Oh, Nova, congratulations!!! What fantastic news! And you were quite right to wait to share until you knew for sure!

I handled my first book sale without an agent, too, and it was every bit as good as an agented offer. So good luck to you, and when you can, do tell us more!

3. Mella March 20, 2008 / 8:09 pm

This is amazing! Congratulations!!! Wow!

4. yojo March 20, 2008 / 8:53 pm

!!!

5. erin March 20, 2008 / 9:08 pm

Woohoo! Congratulations!

6. jadepark March 20, 2008 / 9:39 pm

DUDE! THAT.IS.AWESOME!!!! I wish I were in New York so I could go buy you a drink!

7. joefelso March 20, 2008 / 9:51 pm

This post seems a perfect follow-up to the last—congratulations!

8. Ni March 20, 2008 / 10:06 pm

Congratulations!

9. courtney March 20, 2008 / 10:14 pm

NOVA!!!!!!!!!!
    I TOTALLY READ THIS AN SHRIEKED.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!

!!!!!
    !!!!!
    !!!!!

(I’d apologize for the caps but.. THIS OCCASSION DEMANDS THEM!!!)

Verla Kay’s blueboards are a GREAT place if you have questions about contracts/stuff, authors & agents and writers post there (I’m sure you’ve got lots of people to consult, just thought I’d throw that out there). It’s specifically for Children’s Writers & Illustrators & it is one of the best out there.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SERIOUSLY. SO HAPPY FOR YOU. CONGRATS!!!
    Is this for the Aladdin line?? I’ve heard such great things about it!!
    Aaah!!!!!!

10. Annika March 21, 2008 / 12:32 am

OH MY GOD! I am actually clenching my teeth together to keep from HOLLERING WITH JOY, which would most likely wake my entire family. YAY!!!!!!!!!!

11. charlotteotter March 21, 2008 / 1:35 am

I KNEW it! I knew something was up, and I’m SO SO pleased that this is it. Congratulations, Nova, and when you feel ready, don’t hold back on all the details. I’m dying to know all.

YAY!

12. w March 21, 2008 / 1:46 am

Ha, I knew it too somehow! And your news is a thousand times better than what I could have imagined. Many, many happy and heartfelt congratulations!!! Exclamation points for the rest of the year… the next two years… the next five… well, on and on and on!!!!!!!

13. Niki March 21, 2008 / 4:30 am

NOVA!!!!! This is such fantastic news. Your own BOOK! Your own NOVEL!!!!! I’ve been hoping and wishing for you since I stumbled upon your blog — yours is such lovely heartfelt writing with all the ups and downs, honestly and (sometimes) wrenchingly portrayed. Enough of other people’s books. This is ALL yours!. Can’t wait to hear more details. Big hug from across the pond.

14. Courtney March 21, 2008 / 5:38 am

Nova – I am so, so thrilled for you. You completely deserve this! CONGRATULATIONS!! You deserve to celebrate like crazy.
    Ooh, I can’t wait to read it! Whee! I love good writerly news.

15. oslowe March 21, 2008 / 11:32 am

FUCK YEAH!!!!

I just fell out my chair on the loading dock. ow

16. Susan March 21, 2008 / 1:25 pm

Nova, I am soooooooooooooooooooooooo thrilled for you! That is the most fabulous and fantastic news EVER!!!!!!

I cannot wait to read it.

17. kyra March 21, 2008 / 3:48 pm

congratulations! that’s wonderful news!!!

18. Cam March 21, 2008 / 6:46 pm

Nova, I don’t know enough superlatives to express how I happy I am for you. I am crying tears of joy. (Really, I am!) How exciting. I look forward to reading more about your book as you are able to blog about it. Go celebrate, girl! If I was in NY, I would be buying you drinks too.

19. nova March 21, 2008 / 9:57 pm

Thanks so, so much, everyone! It doesn’t seem real. I can hardly believe it.

…But it is now really, really real because I negotiated & accepted the deal today!!! Did I say Yow?

Aaaaaaah!

20. Heddy_e March 21, 2008 / 11:46 pm

HOLY CRAP! Huge Congrats, I’m soooo happy for you. That’s so fantastic. Once you’re in the thick of it you must divulge all your secrets 😉

21. smithereens March 22, 2008 / 4:43 am

This is so GREAT! Congratulations! Please make sure to post the title when it’ll be out, so that I can buy one: I’ll help you increase your overseas sales.

22. Helen March 22, 2008 / 7:14 am

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! This is so, so, SO, SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!! I am absolutely made up for you and so happy. You have to give all the details of the book because I’m going to rush out and buy it. Didn’t I say – I KNEW this would happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. kimhaasdesign March 22, 2008 / 8:40 am

Nova- this is HUGE!!! I am so happy for you- just sitting here with this big stupid grin on my face. You give us hope that talent and persistence pays off.

24. Heather March 22, 2008 / 9:21 am

NOVA OMG OMG OMG!!

I am so so so so so happy for you!!!!!!!

H

*must lie down now from the giddiness!*

25. Andi March 22, 2008 / 6:30 pm

Congratulations! How wonderfully exciting. Can’t wait to hear more. 🙂

26. Min March 22, 2008 / 11:40 pm

That’s fantastic news! Many congratulations to you!

27. Rob March 22, 2008 / 11:47 pm

Congratulations! That’s awesome news!

28. bleeding espresso March 25, 2008 / 2:06 pm

Wooooow!!!!!!!! Congratulations! I’m sorry a bit behind, but the good wishes are just as great 🙂

29. bloglily March 27, 2008 / 11:11 pm

Yay! I’ve just gotten back from vacation and can’t imagine a happier piece of news. I’m thrilled for you, thrilled to hear you sound so jazzed about this project, thrilled to know I’ll be able to buy that book pretty soon — just thrilled!

30. Heidi Durrow March 30, 2008 / 7:41 pm

DUDE! HOORAY! I WANT TO KNOW MORE!

31. laura March 30, 2008 / 7:52 pm