Annika tagged me to reveal 5 unusual things about myself and I am having a hard time thinking of any! I must be more normal than I realized. I may have revealed some possibly unusual secrets here, but I’ll try to think of some new ones.
1. I hate donuts. Now, I’m sure there are lots of people who don’t like donuts, so maybe this doesn’t sound so unusual, but I have an enormous sweet tooth and am especially partial to sugary icing. My problem with donuts is far more personal. They remind me of the long drive to my estranged (see #3) father’s house and a certain Dunkin’ Donuts off the New Jersey Turnpike, and thus I can’t eat, or even bear to smell them.
2. My vegetarian diet has less to do with sparing animals from things like KFC’s terrible chicken cruelty (though the horror, the horror!) and more to do with the fact that I am easily grossed out and think the texture of flesh—animal or fish or bird or even citrus fruit—is just gross.
3. I find fathers who stick around to raise their kids strange. When I see fathers treating their children with obvious affection, it is like witnessing an alien encounter and I keep expecting the father to grow tentacles and suck out their kids’ eyeballs or something. I have one friend who is clearly a loving and attentive father. I find him amazing. But I guess it’s supposed to be normal for fathers to be fathers to their children.
4. I am a law-abiding citizen to a fault. I can’t even shoplift from a huge conglomerate, even if all the lights were off. But, in movies and also in life, I tend to side with the criminals.
5. Related to Annika’s confession that she loves the domestic arts, there is one thing in that arena that I love, and one thing only: ironing. I love to iron! I don’t have an ironing board at home (no room), but when I am in a hotel room I have been known to set up the ironing board and iron everything in the suitcase, even pajamas and e’s jeans (to his protests). Ah, steam.
If you want to play and reveal 5 unusual things about yourself, please tell!