Quick Update

I’ve been sick all week, haven’t written a word all week, was physically unable to. I know my last post made light of it, but it’s been awful. I am trying to be positive and hope that I am getting better. I’m not sure why this happened, though I have allergy testing on Wednesday, so maybe that will explain some of it. I just want to point out that an illness where your hands swell up so you are unable to type or hold a pen, where your hands burn like they are on fire and force you to carry around a bag of ice is a cruel, cruel joke for a writer. Especially a writer with a deadline. I have been trying to come up with alternative body parts I’d give up instead to have back my hands… Would you take my left leg?

Today is the first day I’ve felt reasonably able to make a go of it. I am at my weekend writing spot attempting to write through this. Doesn’t my body understand the concept of a deadline?

My mom believes in positive thinking. So here goes: I am not sick. I am all better. Here’s a ๐Ÿ™‚ for good measure.

14 thoughts on “Quick Update

1. Susan October 4, 2008 / 12:13 pm

Oh dear. That sounds AWFUL. I am so so sorry and hope it clears up SOON.

2. jadepark October 4, 2008 / 12:39 pm

UGH. I hope the tides turn for you and that you get better real soon now!

3. lalber October 4, 2008 / 1:08 pm

Nightmare, truly! Your poor hands. Glad to know you’re on the way out of it.

4. w October 4, 2008 / 1:57 pm

I hope you’re feeling better today! My allergies konked me out for a week, too. Here’s another ๐Ÿ™‚ for you!

5. bloglily October 4, 2008 / 3:45 pm

You poor thing. Man. I’m glad you’re in your writing place — but take it easy, okay? Small steps! xoxoxo, L

6. Eve October 4, 2008 / 4:26 pm

Nova, I’m so sorry about your suffering. Hang in there.

7. courtney October 4, 2008 / 8:48 pm

Oh man. I hope this gets taken care of soon and sorry for all the discomfort and grief and stress it’s caused you. I believe in the power of positive thinking too and I am sending a TON of positive thoughts your way.

8. mari October 4, 2008 / 9:19 pm

I wonder if it’s stress. And I wonder if you’ve ever tried acupuncture? I was skeptical, then tried it for a few ailments (repetitive stress injury and unbearable sinusitis) and now swear by it. Be well!

9. Courtney October 5, 2008 / 11:23 am

I hope you feel better soon! I’ve had a chest cold for the past few days and it is no fun, but at least I have my fingers! I hope the allergist figures out what triggered this reaction so you never have to go through it again…often times reactions like this can come from cross-allergens…say for instance you are allergic to oak trees (I’m making this up as I go along)…and they share some property with apples, and you eat an apple..BAM, hives. Your allergist should be able to pinpoint if this is the case for you

10. weltschmerz October 5, 2008 / 12:53 pm

ugh, i had no idea that it had gotten to that point!!!

What if you’re allergic to self-doubt? Or to dayjobs? I know it’s probably soap, or dust, or deodorant or something, but you could at least get SSI benefits if it was a work allergy.

Enough joking. I hope you feel better soon, that your body calms down so your brain can work!

11. Gryphon October 5, 2008 / 1:16 pm

Sorry to hear it! That is a cruel joke indeed. It must be because I wasn’t at work all week. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m glad you’re doing better.

12. oslowe October 8, 2008 / 7:27 pm

Oh jeesh- this must be rectified! STAT: pierogis and sour cream for this woman!

13. Andi October 12, 2008 / 8:46 am

Oh my gosh, I hope you’re feeling better soon and back to being able to write. Sending lots of good thoughts your way.

14. nova October 12, 2008 / 11:41 am

Thank you all for your well wishes! I am starting to feel much, much better and I am able to write again.

Mari, my doctor recommended acupuncture as well — so I went (as you’ll see in my latest post) and so far… for the most part… success! I would hate to think that stress caused such a big physical reaction that was so bad I couldn’t go in to my day job for two days in a row… If I can make myself that stressed out, I worry for myself, I do.