Isn’t She* Pretty?

I have printed. Well, I’ve printed what I have so far. I am not yet done with the first draft—must finish the scene in chapter 19, one more short end-note of a chapter to go at the end, one or two more chapters to insert into the gaping hole I left in the middle… not to mention the frenzy of line-editing that will take place before I send this in. But, for now, I have 179 pages. They exist in the world in physical form for the first time ever, and there’s no denying it. Look! Here they are sitting on the table:

I should have dressed them up for you. Or dressed them up for me. I guess it’s like when people dress up their dogs in those little sweaters and take them on a walk in the park. I almost want to carry my pages outside and parade them around Washington Square. “What’s that?” someone might ask, a dog-walker or a hippie guitarist or a drug dealer or an NYU student, and I’ll say with pride, “It’s my novel.” And they’ll nod and say, “Cute hat.”

———–

* Yes, my novel is female. Obviously.

12 thoughts on “Isn’t She* Pretty?

1. lalber October 21, 2008 / 6:38 pm

Oh, that’s so pretty! I want to pet it as if it were a dog with a cute coat. I want one of those for my very own, a brand-spanking-new novel — one that’s getting published, dagnabbit!

2. Jade Park October 21, 2008 / 6:48 pm

Oh! Photoshop it with some cute ears and a tail! 🙂

sooo awesome! You are awesome!

3. laura October 21, 2008 / 7:01 pm

Pretty indeed! What a great feeling to have something printable! It’s a milestone, or something 🙂

4. Annika October 21, 2008 / 7:14 pm

She is LOVELY! I am so insanely proud of you.

5. w October 21, 2008 / 8:18 pm

Aaaahhhhh. So satisfying. 🙂

6. weltschmerz October 22, 2008 / 7:09 am

Woot! I don’t recommend leash walking. I think you and your novel deserve a sedan. At the very least, a pedicab.

(I am so proud of you right now it nearly hurts.)

7. nova October 22, 2008 / 7:17 am

Thanks, all! Looks like my excitement is catching!

I do still have to, you know… um… finish the thing………. Then revisions….. And of course they have to like it….. and still want to publish it…… Details, details.

I doubt they’ll let me turn in a photo of the manuscript instead of the actual manuscript, but maybe I should ask.

8. courtney October 22, 2008 / 1:01 pm

She’s GORGEOUS! Yay! I remember your entry about printing your manuscripts. This is a Big Moment. Congrats, Nova. Eeee! I can’t wait to see it on shelves!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!

9. oslowe October 22, 2008 / 2:14 pm

yay! Oh, congrats honey, this is a big moment that I am a day late noticing!

10. e October 22, 2008 / 2:39 pm

i am holding your manuscript this very second. delicious.

ps. me an oslowe gonna have to duel now. to the pain!

11. mari October 23, 2008 / 5:22 pm

I think the first time I commented on your blog was recently, when you talked about printing or not printing your work (forgive me if I don’t remember the details correctly). Well, anyway, now that you’ve printed something, I have one word for you: congratulations.

What next?