Teeth Cleaned, Novel Read, Sandwich Left Abandoned in Fridge

What a day. I was trying to be financially responsible so I packed my own lunch today only to completely forget to eat lunch and leave it in the office fridge when I dashed out early to run to a dentist appointment.

That’s because I was distracted, and understandably so. My manuscript edits were ready! My editor emailed me this morning to tell me.

I love my editor.

I love my editor so much.

I would repeat verbatim what she said after reading my manuscript, but (1) I sort of want to keep it to myself and hold it close and (2) you’re not supposed to repeat verbatim on your blog what editors tell you, are you? I don’t know, I’m new at this.

One great thing about working in Manhattan is that you can see your editor in person the day after she’s finished reading your manuscript and witness, right there in front of you, the look on her face when she tells you what she thinks about it. And oh. And wow.

My office is just six blocks from hers. So we met for a quick coffee so I could come get the manuscript edits in person. She bought me coffee πŸ™‚ She likes my book πŸ™‚ She used purple pen to edit it πŸ™‚ I am just walking around with one of these πŸ™‚ on my head.

She seems to think the revisions will be quick, so by the New Year my novel will be done, maybe sooner. A letter is forthcoming, but in the meantime all I’ve been able to do is peek quickly at various pages, see an edit, squeal, and cover the page. I expect to be much more mature about the whole process by the morning.

I am just so thrilled that she’s so enthusiastic about the book. I’ve always wanted something like this to happen and now that’s it’s happening I’m not entirely able to act normal. So that’s how I ended up totally forgetting to eat lunch today. And at the dentist’s, while my teeth were being cleaned, I couldn’t stop smiling.

8 thoughts on “Teeth Cleaned, Novel Read, Sandwich Left Abandoned in Fridge

1. jadepark December 1, 2008 / 7:47 pm

and now your teeth are sparkling clean for the smile when your book goes to…PRESS!

2. Rose December 1, 2008 / 7:48 pm

I am πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ right now for you! I love you!

3. lalber December 1, 2008 / 11:38 pm

This is wonderful, Nova. I’m excited for you. You’re on your way!

4. Helen December 2, 2008 / 2:35 am

I’m smiling now too! I am so happy this is happening to you. It is so inspiring.

5. weltschmerz December 2, 2008 / 1:49 pm

Dude, happiness is the best excuse!

Plus, as someone who’s been taking her lunch to work for years and years, I must confess that it gets abandoned in the fridge at LEAST once or twice a week. Still.

6. courtney December 3, 2008 / 12:42 am

Damn! Rose beat me to posting a ton of smilies. But there can be more, right? Because I have no words, only them (well, minus the words I used to disclaimer the smilies!):
    πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
    πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
    πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
    πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

7. nova December 3, 2008 / 8:17 am

Jade, eeeee! we’re still a long time away from that, so I will believe it when I see it. πŸ™‚

Rose, I love you SO MUCH, sister!

Thanks, Lisa. πŸ™‚

Helen, thank you.

Weltschmerz, glad I’m not the only one to abandon a poor sandwich. I did have the best of intentions. I remembered it was there and ate it yesterday.

Courtney: πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Next up…. REVISION.

8. sandi shelton December 3, 2008 / 8:27 pm

This is so exciting to read, Nova. It gave me goosebumps! It is a wonderful thing when an editor likes your book!! I’m thrilled for you.