The Day Your Book Comes Out

I checked the mirror yesterday and I didn’t look any different, as far as I could tell. The skies didn’t part and shine rainbows over me as I walked the sidewalks yesterday. No butterflies danced around my head. Strangers did not stop me on street corners to ask me to autograph their bare stomachs. I was not gifted with a single kitten.

But I did skip into a Barnes & Noble in Manhattan and witness this:

Bookstalking DANI NOIR was a success! (see middle row, far left)
Bookstalking DANI NOIR was a success! (see middle row, far left)

So it happened, the book was published, but I’m the same person I was. Guess what I’m doing right now? Working away on a chapter for this new novel… feeling daunted by all the pages left to write… stressing about time or lack thereof… the usual. It never ends, does it? I mean, seriously, where is my kitten!

14 thoughts on “The Day Your Book Comes Out

1. Annika September 23, 2009 / 8:33 am

I don’t know, you look different to me. Taller, maybe, and a little shinier (in the right places, of course).

• nova September 26, 2009 / 9:41 am

I’m sorry to hear you’ve had a terrible week! I hope it’s getting better.

Thank you for stopping by and being willing to check out my book. I know you can order it online in the UK, but I am not sure if it will be in stores there just yet… Thank you!

2. Urban Literati September 23, 2009 / 9:02 am

Doesn’t your book look lovely there among the others? Won’t your name look lovely on the bestseller list? Congratulations.

3. Lily September 23, 2009 / 10:14 am

What a lovely sight! Mine came in a box in the mail, but it looks very nice on the desk next to my computer and will look even nicer when I have it in my hands and am finishing it later today. (It’s very good!!) xoxoxo

4. strugglingwriter September 23, 2009 / 2:24 pm

How friggin’ cool is that. I could not even imagine a day as brilliant as that.

Congratulations to you! 🙂

5. Karen Mahoney September 23, 2009 / 5:09 pm

That is a beautiful moment. 🙂

You may not LOOK any different or be doing different things… You might not have been gifted with random kittens. But from now on, EVERYTHING will be different. Your book has been published!! Yay!!!

6. courtney September 23, 2009 / 7:01 pm

What Annika said.

& Eee, don’t stress! Everything’s gonna be fine. And DANI NOIR IS OUT! This is the start! I mean it’s been the start but it’s there and this is it and asdfkjakd Nova I am so happy for you!!!! I am so inarticulate but… seriously!

7. weltschmerz September 24, 2009 / 10:31 am

I got your kitten right here, but I would urge a counseling session before I gave him over to you. Kittens? Adorable, playful kittens? They’re kind of jerks.

And the last thing you need on this big day is a jerk. Even kind of a jerk.

8. charlotteotter September 24, 2009 / 12:26 pm

Hooray! There it is – and my copy’s due any day now.

9. laura September 25, 2009 / 9:40 am

Congratulations! I’ve enjoyed reading about your journey to the bookshelf, and what a big day this is. It must be like getting your driver’s license, or something – a monumental beginning. I can’t wait to read it 🙂

10. lalber September 25, 2009 / 11:54 am

Wow! Congratulations, Nova! Dani Noir looks smashing up there next to Meg Cabot! (Whoa, sidenote: Jane Smiley with a horse book–when did she start doing YA?)

• nova September 26, 2009 / 9:46 am