Making Way for Something Amazing

As you may have seen hinted at in my romantic post all about “going dark” and thus learning the secret to becoming a writing genius (um, haha), I’m flirting with the idea of becoming a whole new person. Maybe. Just for the summer. Yes, I know part of being an author is learning graceful and confident and somehow not annoyingly intrusive ways of promoting yourself and your books (if you know how to do this, do tell), but I’m on a bit of a break here. My book isn’t out until next summer… It’s not the time to be promoting. I have this pocket of time where I can just focus on writing new stuff*, and so why am I reading blogs about publicity and worrying you’ll forget me forever and ever if I disappear off social-networking sites? Why do I spend so much time distracting myself with every clickworthy link on the internet?

* Side note: I like calling my writing “stuff.” It sounds less intimidating.

I don’t yet know how I’ll handle this, but I feel like I could do anything with my time this summer. Anything at all. Do I want to come away from these next few months with a polished and awesome novel that my editor loves? With pages for my next novel? With a WHOLE NEW BOOK that you don’t even know about yet, but one that I have enough chapters of already and maybe it could even interest a publisher if I could just gather my wits together and write a synopsis?

Or do I want to know what all the authors and editors and agents I admire are tweeting?

I think I know what I’m choosing. I just don’t know how drastic I’m going to be about it yet.

I’m only thinking of trying out a little experiment this summer. What if my head’s more clear…? Will I, could I, might I write something amazing?

I’ll let you know.

I guess this is the warning that if I don’t answer your message on Twitter or Facebook, it’s because I’m not logging in. So email me or something.

17 thoughts on “Making Way for Something Amazing

1. c(h)ristine May 22, 2010 / 12:06 pm

I’m with you. This break is doing me good.

• nova ren suma May 22, 2010 / 12:08 pm

I’ve been thinking of you. You’re an inspiration and a motivation to me right now!

2. sruble May 22, 2010 / 12:16 pm

Good luck! I’ve been toying with taking time off again, as well. Maybe a set amount of time and staying away from certain things would work? Must ponder a summer plan – thanks for sharing yours.

I hope it works for you! Fingers crossed that you have a novel at the end of the summer and have figured out the whole online/offline dilemma!

• nova ren suma May 22, 2010 / 12:18 pm

Thanks! I definitely have big plans for fixing my distraction problems this summer… Another involves less TV and more reading books… but that may be a whole other confessional blog post 😉

Best of luck to you too!

• sruble May 22, 2010 / 6:33 pm

I did it! I announced my vacation. ( http://bit.ly/9gkk4d if you are curious) Thanks for the inspiration and the kick in the pants to actually do it. I’m a bit scared that I’ll miss it too much and go back early, but I’ve got to try.

Good luck with your goals!!!

p.s. TV is another thing to work on, but at least the summer means reruns for a lot of shows.

• nova ren suma May 23, 2010 / 10:01 am

Congrats, Stephanie! Have a wonderful and productive summer!

• sruble May 24, 2010 / 10:15 am

Thanks! Here’s to a productive summer for both of us!

3. weltschmerz May 22, 2010 / 1:03 pm

I will miss you, but then it will better if I can constantly imagine that you’re somewhere out there having the time of your life! Writing the time of your life?!? I don’t know.

I already miss you. We should talk one of these days.

• nova ren suma May 22, 2010 / 1:09 pm

I’ll be here! Just not there (unless I cave tomorrow, in which case I’ll be everywhere). And I miss you too. Sorry I’ve been so self-secluded lately. Stress reaction, maybe?

4. jpetroroy May 22, 2010 / 1:30 pm

I’m about halfway through my WIP and have been seriously considering unplugging for a while. Whenever I sit down to write, the Internet and social networking offers so many distractions. I’m not sure if I’m ready to do it yet, but this is giving me a lot to think about. On the other hand, I’m not sure why I’m not ready. I’d rather have a finished manuscript than a few months of blog and Twitter posts read…..

• nova ren suma May 22, 2010 / 1:38 pm

I know exactly what you mean (I itch when I think of everything I will miss from not being connected online!). But I know, deep down, that I’m not working as hard as I could be when I’m logging in to these sites. And I can’t just take a peek… I have a hard time controlling myself. One peek and I look up and I’ve lost an hour. But that’s just me. Others are far better with their self-control and can live balanced lives while writing and being on Twitter!

I guess my advice is to give it a try: One week. See what happens for your WIP? I don’t think one week could hurt (too badly)…

5. Camille May 23, 2010 / 2:19 pm

What is this silly talk about becoming a ‘whole new person’?! New-and-improved is something else (not that there is much room for improvement in your case). 😉

I know how you feel though…especially with all that’s happened in the last week, I am definitely feeling the urge to clean out, pare down, and focus on the important stuff.

• nova May 24, 2010 / 8:42 am

Oh, Camille, thank you! You’re sweet. I do think there is room for quite a lot of improvement, and my time up away at the mansion with you sort of cemented that. 😉

Thinking of you right now. Wish I could give you a hug.

• Camille May 27, 2010 / 1:36 pm

Same here, on all counts!!!

6. courtney May 25, 2010 / 1:55 am

I know if anyone can put that time to amazing use, it is you. Much productivity, lady. Also Antisocial Summer sounds like it could be the title of a book. HMMM. 😉

• nova May 26, 2010 / 5:07 pm

Heh.

I guess I’m not entirely antisocial, since I just sent you a tweet via email the other day… but it’s hard to let go! Today I felt like barely anyone talked to me! Maybe I should write a blog post about this. Or see a therapist.