I Failed

I failed.

I tweeted. I changed my Facebook status. I commented on my sister’s status. I tweeted again. I failed. I lose. No cake for me.

But I got no pleasure out of it.

I failed and it was completely anticlimactic.

What do I do now? How to keep focus?

I might have to institute Yaddo-inspired quiet hours.

I might have to do something drastic.

I won’t fail at this novel. I refuse.

15 thoughts on “I Failed

1. Maddz June 22, 2010 / 6:27 pm

You can do it, Nova!!

• Joelle June 22, 2010 / 6:45 pm

Hey Nova,
      I’ve been thinking about Twitter quite a bit. I don’t like FB, so that’s no challenge, but I enjoy Twitter. This is what I decided…. Each day I have a to-do list or a revision goal or whatever. When I do what’s on it, then I can tweet for fifteen minutes or so. It’s something I enjoy. So why not? I mean, it’s not like I’m doing crack. I’ve made a lot of friends…like you. Don’t you think our lives are richer for knowing each other? Mine is.

All things in moderation (except vegetarianism), baby! Be kind to yourself.

love you,
      J-

• nova June 24, 2010 / 7:54 am

Joëlle, my life _is_ richer. You are very right.

Your self-control is enviable, and something I’d like to aspire to. I should be able to do this. It sounds so easy and possible when you say it!

• nova June 24, 2010 / 7:53 am

Maddz: Thank you for being confident!

2. Karen Mahoney June 22, 2010 / 6:37 pm

Nova, please don’t be so hard on yourself. I wrestle with this daily, too.

You haven’t failed, you are just working out a system that works for YOU. Sometimes that takes a little bit longer than we might like.

Seriously, you won’t fail at this novel. Quiet hours could be the answer. I’m going to try that, but not until the World Cup is over. I can’t concentrate when there’s so much good football to watch… 😉

Kaz
    xo

• nova June 24, 2010 / 7:56 am

Thanks, Kaz. I hope I find the system that works for me soon.

Good luck with your writing, World Cup and all!

3. Jo in NZ June 22, 2010 / 8:10 pm

Ditto Karen!

• nova June 24, 2010 / 7:57 am

Thanks 🙂

4. c(h)ristine June 22, 2010 / 9:15 pm

Why are you calling this a failure?! This is not a failure–it’s negotiating boundaries and reaching out for something your psyche said you needed: company and social support. You’re ok.

• nova June 24, 2010 / 7:57 am

Thanks, C. I do think you’re right.

5. catie james June 22, 2010 / 11:13 pm

You did not fail. You zig-zagged off course. We ALL do it. Like Kaz said, you’re figuring out what works. Try, zig, zag, try again.

• nova June 24, 2010 / 7:58 am

I like how adamant you are that I didn’t fail. I’ll try to zigzag back in the right, or a better, direction…

6. courtney June 23, 2010 / 8:45 pm

Not a failure by any stretch. Everything in moderation, right?

You will not fail your novel. It’s just not the way you’re built as a writer.

• nova June 24, 2010 / 7:58 am

Oh thank you. You’re very inspiring, did you know that? I think you must. I’ve told you enough times!

7. sruble June 26, 2010 / 8:01 pm

You didn’t fail; you just distracted yourself for a few moments (probably to let your subconscious work on the novel). It’s like being on a diet. Sometimes you just need the piece of chocolate cake or an ice cream cone. Then the next day you get back to eating healthy. Try not to feel guilty about it.

Then again, maybe going totally off of Twitter and Facebook just isn’t the right plan for you right now. Maybe you need a new plan. One that lets you check in with social networking once in a while while you work on your novel.