There Comes a Moment When You Can’t Deny…

…that people are about to read your book. If they want to. That people will open your book to the first page and start with the first sentence, and hopefully go on from there, and you can’t keep it close anymore, this book you wrote that started as a story for you and you only, this piece of writing you’ve loved and labored over, this piece of you. It’s too late now to delay showing people because you’re shy. No more excuses. It’s out. In the world. Where people who know how to read books can go get it.

This is that moment.

ARCs in San Diego
That’s a stack of ARCs—i.e., advance reading copies for reviewers, librarians, booksellers, and other industry people—at the American Library Association’s Winter Meeting in San Diego last night. Imaginary Girls made its ARC debut at this conference yesterday, as we only just got copies of the ARCs this week.

This photo was taken from the ALA floor by the kind Martha Flynn, who tweeted it to me on Friday night and I love her for it!

Now… how do you keep yourself distracted while you’re anxiously thinking of the possible people out there in the world possibly picking up your ARC and possibly opening it and possibly starting to read?

I guess this is as good a time as any to hide away at a writers colony, huh? Especially if you’re going to hunker down and write your next book.

For more ARC photos, check out this album.

8 thoughts on “There Comes a Moment When You Can’t Deny…

1. Jodi Moore January 8, 2011 / 1:55 pm

No denying it… I can’t WAIT to be one of those people who get to read it!!! So excited for you! Hugs, Jodi 🙂

• Nova January 8, 2011 / 3:00 pm

Thank you so much, Jodi! I’m so anxious / excited / thrilled / crazed about people reading… I wonder if I’ll ever be able to calm down? Possibly not! Thank you for wanting to read it.

2. Laura January 8, 2011 / 3:38 pm

They are beautiful!! Can’t wait until the book is released and I can pick up my own copy.

3. Joelle January 8, 2011 / 9:14 pm

I do think that you prepare for the release of the book, and you know it’s coming out, but up to a certain point, even witt the ARCs to a certain extent, you have some control over who reads it. When it hit the bookstore, it finally came home to me that ANYONE who wanted to ante up could read Restoring Harmony. That was such a totally weird feeling!

4. mari January 10, 2011 / 1:53 am

I am so happy for you. I read Dani Noir, loved it. Can’t wait for this one. Wishing you all the best in this new year!

5. Bri January 10, 2011 / 10:49 am

It’s been fun to watch your journey for your YA debut! I can’t wait to read it.

6. jadepark January 12, 2011 / 9:57 pm

🙂 so beautiful. i love seeing the STACKS of Imaginary Girls! The color of the cover makes the stacks look like aquariums w little girls floating inside of them.

7. courtney January 14, 2011 / 7:55 pm

ALA Midwinter is over and you’re writing away in another place right now and I am still grinning about this. 🙂